Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Veggie Bacon Pasta Toss

Let me introduce you to...............my lunch.


No, I did not drug my children to sleep in order to spend some time in the kitchen. I didn't even plop them in front of a movie. That's right. I'm talking leftovers. When you must personally prepare from scratch every last bite that passes through your jaws, take your breaks where you can get them!
I threw this together last night for dinner. It was delicious then (scored a thumbs up with my hubby) and I'm pleased to say it was just as good the second time around. This is a very flexible dish. If my veggies are off limits or not to your taste, replace them with your own. Add chopped chicken or turkey if your diet allows. I wouldn't ditch the bacon though- it is the heart and soul of this butter-less meal. For company I'd pair it with a side salad and some crusty bread (GF or otherwise). We enjoyed it a la carte- it hits the major food groups, right?

Veggie Bacon Pasta Toss
Ingredients:
2 8oz packages of gluten free spaghetti (I prefer DeBoles rice pasta to Tinkyada- it never gets mushy)
6-8 bacon strips, chopped small (Use bacon free of dairy and corn derivatives.  I used Fred Meyer brand thick cuts. Read labels, most grocers carry at least one brand)
1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
1 1/2 cups chopped zucchini
1 1/2 cups frozen sweet green peas
~1 tsp dried parsley
Extra-light olive oil to drizzle
Salt and pepper to taste (this sometimes means a lot :)

Get your water boiling for the noodles. Use lots of water, I'm talking as much as your biggest pot will hold, and do not put the pasta in before it reaches a full boil. Cook according to package directions, always rinsing well with COLD water. 
In a medium skillet, begin frying bacon. Do NOT drain grease. When bacon is most of the way cooked throw in mushrooms, zucchini, and parsley. Stir fry for one minute before adding frozen peas. When peas are thawed season with salt and pepper to taste. 
Toss gently, but thoroughly with cooked and rinsed pasta. Drizzle with oil until pasta is lightly coated, and less sticky. 
You may need to zap the finished product in the microwave, as noodles will be cold. This is allergy land-  we do what we must. 

No comments:

Post a Comment