Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My "Most Purpose" Flour Blends

There is no one gluten free flour or flour blend that replaces wheat perfectly in every recipe. That said, I have found I can "get away with" using this blend to convert most normal recipes to gluten free. I keep this on hand and use it in any dinner recipe calling for a small amount of flour for thickening, with great results. The outcome may not be all that I've dreamed of and more in baked goods, but they're edible and give me an idea of what to try on my next attempt.


For 5 Cups "Most Purpose" Flour Blend:
3 cups brown rice flour or sorghum flour (I prefer sorghum)
1 1/4 cups potato starch, corn starch, or tapioca starch (if using arrowroot powder below)
3/4 cups tapioca starch (if using potato or corn above), or arrowroot powder (if using tapioca above)
2 tsp xanthan gum or 1 Tbs guar gum (If using guar gum, sub in 1 1/2 times the amount of xanthan gum)


Another flour mix I am beginning to love can also be found, along with an amazingly helpful assortment of allergy baking tips, at http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/01/cooking-baking-gluten-free-tips-for.html. 


For 2 1/2 Cups Karina's Basic Gluten Free Flour Mix:
1 cup sorghum flour 
1 cup tapioca starch or potato starch
1/3 to 1/2 cup buckwheat flour or millet flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum or 1 1/2 tsp guar gum

I really encourage you to check out this link above if you are embarking on any kind of allergy cooking/baking. Her experience is literally tenfold mine, and her tips are incredibly useful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment