Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tip of the Passing Spare Moment- Dinner and a Tasty Soy Sauce Sub

My tip today is something I am just discovering myself. It is better to work with your allergies, than to attempt to replicate those foods you now must go without.
My particular set of allergies denies me my favorite ethnic food- Italian. There's not much from Italy without garlic, onions, tomatoes, and cheese. For a long time I have experimented with all sorts of unnatural "food" combinations (for those wondering: although you can safely consume it, I do not consider nutritional yeast flakes "food"), but it just isn't happening. Fake cheese will never be real cheese, and "tomato" sauce made from beets.... 'nuff said.

My body can, on the other hand, tolerate many foods indigenous to Asia. This is a whole new world of opportunity for me, as up until a few months ago "Chinese food" was synonymous with "take-out". My only real barrier was soy sauce. Although I have subbed salt water in various recipes with moderate success, I was elated the day my browsing the isles of Life Source (our local health food store) introduced me to "Coconut Aminos; Soy-Free Seasoning Sauce", stocked just below the real soy sauce.
I took it home, tried it, and we all lived happily ever after... except Westly, who is in fact allergic to coconuts.  Hmmm. Well, for now, good thing he's two and has no idea I'm slipping flavor into my food when he's not looking :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment