Wednesday, January 26, 2011

New and Improved GF Vegan Pancake Recipe





We have pancakes a lot. They are such an easy and quick to make source of grains, and my 2 year old LOVES them. I also love their versatility, low cost, and how easily they travel! All around, the perfect gluten-free breakfast/ snack food. 
I've been a tad frustrated lately with my previously posted pancake recipe, it doesn't seem to want to cook through in a reasonable amount of time! This recipe confirmed my long-time suspicion that applesauce would be the key to a lovely, fluffy, cakey-golden pancake :) Those who are not fond of apples, no worries- the taste is undetectable. 

New and Improved GF Vegan Pancake Recipe


Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups sorghum flour
2/3 cups tapioca starch
1 Tbs. baking power
2 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tbs vanilla
optional: 1 tsp cinnamon (when made with cinnamon, the inside of the pancakes turns a deep reddish hue. I think it's fun :), mini chocolate chips or pecans(sprinkle into wet batter on griddle)
Oil

Thoroughly mix together dry ingredients. Add applesauce, water, and vanilla. You are going for a thin, easily pourable batter. Anything too thick won't cook through. I like to mix my batter in a pitcher for easy pouring.
Oil griddle or skillet and do so between each batch, or they won't brown well and they don't seem to get as fluffy. Heat to 250- 300 degrees Fahrenheit (medium-low). Pour pancakes as large as you like, but small- medium seem to com out best. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, or nuts if you like. Pancakes should produce thin, glassy bubbles as they cook. When these all burst, and the edges look a bit dry, flip your pancake. They are done when both sides are golden brown and center is fluffy. 

These pancakes are incredibly low-fat, which is nice, but I feel they are missing something when served with pure maple syrup. I like to add a *small* amount of butter or margarine to my syrup for a fuller flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment