Monday, January 17, 2011

Apple-Meatballs


I know what your thinking. "Apple meatballs? Is she insane?".
Answer: not in this particular case.
AND I have proof. After mentioning on Fbook my meatball success, I received this message from one of my dear, sweet middle school girlies:
"Hmmm....sounds gross....might have to convince me different ;)"
Let me tell you people, I did. The next time I saw this little sweetling I just happened to have a tupperware container holding a meatball in my purse. The result? Five 7th grade girls competing over the remains of my giant apple-meatball, and one request that I bring more next week :)
These were actually the result of poor planning on my part. My recipe called for shredded zuchinni, but I had none. Figuring apples were similar in texture, I switched up the spices and give this a whirl. Feel free to check out the original recipe at http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/04/turkey-meatballs-with-asian-noodles.html#ixzz1AnFlrQuU



Apple-Meatballs

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
1lb ground beef
1 1/4 cups gluten-free bread crumbs (Ener-G loafs crumb easily)
1/4 cup flour (I used sorghum)
2-3 medium apples (I used gala), shredded
2 Tbs grated fresh ginger
½- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
½- 1tsp lime juice
1 tablespoon molasses
3 tablespoons honey
sea salt and black pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Shred apples and press out moisture with my tip of the passing spare moment.

In a large mixing bowl, break apart and blend the ground meats with the gluten-free bread crumbs and flour, using a sturdy wooden spoon. Add in the grated apple and ginger, and spices. Mix just until blended, try not to over mix- this will toughen the meatball. Add in the fresh lime juice, molasses, and honey. Mix lightly, I used my hands at this point.

Form 24 meatballs using your fingers to round spoonfuls of the mixture. They should be roughly the size of a golf ball. Place the apple-meatballs on the lined baking sheets as you roll them.

Bake the meatballs on two center(ish) racks of a pre-heated oven for about 20 to 30 minutes until no longer pink inside. Prepare sauce as they cook. Place the baking sheet on a cooling rack. Serve with rice, veggies and Sweet and Spicy Asian-y Sauce.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sweet and Spicy Asian-y Sauce

Ingredients:
Light olive oil
hot pepper flakes, to taste
4 tsp fresh grated ginger- or to taste
6 tablespoons molasses
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 Tbs Sesame oil
3 Tbs mirin
3 Tbs cooking sherry
3 Tbs brown sugar
lots of salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1 tsp lime juice

Heat oil in a medium sauce pan. Add hot pepper flakes and grated ginger and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, simmer 5 minutes and taste. Adjust flavor according to your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment